Spruce Springclean, a carpet cleaning shop in Cornwall, has been named the best small business name in Britain, according to a study by Vistaprint.
It was followed by the rib-tickling Surelock Homes, a Portsmouth-based locksmith, and the Planet of the Grapes, a wine bar in London.
The survey also asked Brits how a unique name affects their shopping habits. 40% admitted that a witty or memorable business name is likely to make them use that company over a similar one with a more traditional name. And one in ten claimed they can remember funny business names from more than a decade ago.
Vistaprint also found that 60% of respondents prefer a creative business name over a more traditional one. Furthermore, over a third say they’re more likely to recommend a business with a witty moniker.
Oliver Harcourt, Head of Vistaprint UK, comments: “Small businesses around the UK are always finding clever and innovative ways to showcase their offerings. Having a creative business name is one example of how you can be more memorable to your customers and stand out from the crowd. Some of the shops from our poll are businesses that are generations old, showing that a catchy name can stand the test of time.”
Two-thirds of Brits say that a quirky business name is so appealing because it makes them smile, and half think it makes the store easier to remember. Interestingly, despite the two not having any direct correlation, a quarter of respondents think they typically get better service from a shop with a great name.
Oliver Harcourt adds: “Our survey also found that eight in ten Brits like to try and shop locally where possible. We’re happy to see local stores keeping up the tradition of having creative and witty names as a way to stand out in their communities. We look forward to seeing many more to come in the future – and we’ve even created a guide to help new businesses come up with a memorable name for themselves.”
Notes to Editors:
- Vistaprint commissioned a UK survey of 2000 respondents
- See top 20 UK business names below
- If you use our research, please be sure to link back to our site here – thanks!
THE TOP 20 SHOP NAMES IN THE UK
- Spruce Springclean, Carpet cleaners, Lostwithiel, Cornwall
- Surelock Homes, Locksmith, Portsmouth
- Planet of the Grapes, Wine Bar and Restaurant, London
- Floral and Hardy, Florists, Hertfordshire
- A Fish Called Rhondda, Fish and Chip Shop, Pentre, Wales
- Wright Hassall, Solicitors, Leamington Spa
- Jean Claude Van Man, Removal Company, Merseyside
- Sellfridges, White Goods Outlet, Stoke Newington
- Grate Expectations, Fireplace Specialists, Wimbledon
- Bonnie Tiler, Tiling and Plumbing, Gateshead
- Deja Brew, Coffee House, Denton
- The Chopfather, Barbers, Bristol
- Barnie’s Rubble, DIY Shop, Bolton
- Facial Attraction, Beauty Salon, Pontypool, Wales
- Samuel ‘L’ Jackson, Driving Instructor, Southport
- Hair Raid Shelter, Hairdressers, Downham Market, Norfork
- Alan Cartridge, Office Supplies, Leeds
- Jason Donervan, Food truck, Bristol
- Frying Nemo, Fish and Chip Shop, Yorkshire
- PG Trips, Bus Charter, Houghton le Spring